The Brennan Center for Justice at NYU School of Law is a nonpartisan law and policy institute that seeks to improve our systems of democracy and justice. We work to hold our political institutions and laws accountable to the twin American ideals of democracy and equal justice for all. Among our core priorities, we fight to protect voting rights, end mass incarceration, strengthen checks and balances, and preserve Constitutional protection in the fight against terrorism. Part think-tank, part advocacy group, part cutting-edge communications hub, we start with rigorous research. We craft innovative policies. And we fight for them — in Congress and the states, the courts, and in the court of public opinion.
We are seeking a talented and driven HR Generalist to support our Senior HR Manager and contribute to enhancing our people practices and improving our employees’ experience. The person in this role will contribute to critical HR goals of assigned client groups; provide them with day-to-day support across the spectrum of HR services; and provide operational support in expert areas such as recruitment, performance management, compensation, and new hire orientation. The HR Generalist will also participate in exciting and dynamic HR projects based on our HR strategic plan.
Note: Staff are currently working in the office 3 days a week. This position is based at our headquarters in New York City and may require occasional travel to our Washington, DC office.
HR support to Client Groups
- Assist Senior HR Manager with operational support to assigned internal client groups across the spectrum of HR services (end-to-end)
- Produce reports and metrics to help Senior HR Manager and management with analysis and decision-making regarding people, organization, and culture matters
- Make employee data changes in HRIS and vendor systems as needed
- Maintain employee records and documents
- Act as the Senior HR managers’ backup to address managers’ and employees’ questions, provide HR expert advice, and serve as liaison between employees and management
- Assist with coordination of all onboarding tasks for new hires (including communications, coordination with managers, and background screening)
- Assist in exit interview process by providing departing employees with survey and meeting with employees to discuss survey and benefits
- Assist managers with queries and information requests (e.g., employee and organization data, compensation, performance, etc.)
- Assist staff in assigned client groups with queries and information request regarding HR topics (e.g., employee data, benefits, employment verifications, HRIS system questions, etc.)
- Assist Senior HR Manager with planning, organizing and executing key HR meetings and training events
- Provide employee relations support
- Perform other duties as assigned
Recruitment, Performance Management, Compensation, and Internships
- Assist with intern hiring management
- Provide recruitment operational support (i.e., candidate sourcing, Brennan Center Jobs inbox management, candidate correspondence and dispositioning, and job postings).
- Produce training and communication materials (slide presentations, guidelines, emails) as needed
- Compile performance evaluation data and produce reports, charts and graphics for calibration meetings and salary review discussions
- Track performance evaluation completion in systems and communicate to HR Partners and Managers
- Ensure compensation data is updated in any relevant systems for all positions
- Maintain job descriptions
- Serve in system administration role for recruitment, performance management, and compensation processes
- Manage intern hiring year-round and summer intern program
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management, Business, Organizational Development, Communication, or Industrial Psychology preferred. SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) preferred
- Minimum of three years of experience as a HR Generalist performing the same and/or similar responsibilities listed above required
- Minimum one year of experience supporting Recruitment in operational activities required, including experience using HRIS and ATS systems.
- Outstanding customer service and ability to address questions and concerns from management and staff in a productive and effective manner
- Detail-oriented and highly organized
- Ability to multi-task and effectively juggle competing priorities among many demands
- Strong judgment and the ability to maintain confidentiality
- Highly curious and intentional about and bringing forward new ideas for improvement and incorporating HR best practices
- Autonomous, resourceful, collaborative, and adaptive
- Scrappy, self-starter, solutions- and results-oriented
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
- Critical and analytical thinker who can develop insights, drive decisions, measure impact, and achieve results
- Ability to build strong relationships through demonstrating emotional intelligence and earning trust and respect
- Computer savvy and proficient in Microsoft Office Suite: Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
The Brennan Center is committed to advancing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in the workplace. We continuously work with our staff to find new ways to increase diversity and to build and cultivate an inclusive and equitable work environment, where everyone can be their true self and feel a strong sense of belonging. As such, we seek to hire employees who have a commitment to and/or experience with diversity, equity, and inclusion. In addition, we expect employees to participate/contribute with DEI initiatives or activities with recruitment, retention, and workplace culture.
Application Deadline: The deadline for applying is Friday, June 23rd. Once the application deadline has passed, we will begin reaching out candidates of interest, the earliest being the week of June 26th.
Application: To apply, please visit https://brennancenter.applytojob.com/apply/8lH5Srhqyl/HR-Generalist and upload the following documents: (1) a cover letter, (2) resume, and (3) contact information for three references. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, and decisions will be made as soon as an appropriate candidate is identified. We prefer applications to be submitted through our website. If you have difficulty uploading these items as one document, e-mail them to firstname.lastname@example.org with “HR Generalist” in the subject line.
Compensation and Benefits:
The salary range assigned for the scale is $ $78,000-$88,000 and has been determined based on market competitiveness. Each salary in the scale is determined by the number of years of professional experience after graduation from law school of the selected candidate. Additionally, we offer a very robust and competitive array of benefits such as a generous time off program, 401k plan, comprehensive health insurance (medical, dental, and vision), and wellness and office perks.
Note: The Brennan Center is committed to public health and to the safety and wellbeing of our colleagues and visitors. As such, we have adopted a policy requiring all employees working in the New York and Washington, DC offices to be vaccinated against COVID-19 or to meet the legal guidelines for an exemption.
The Brennan Center for Justice is committed to a workplace based on equal opportunity and a strong belief in the increased effectiveness that comes from a diverse workforce. To this end, Brennan Center
- Welcomes applicants with disabilities and applicants of all races, ethnicities, gender identities, socioeconomic identities, sexual orientations, and national origin or citizenship, including people who have been previously incarcerated;
- Hires diverse candidates and works to improve our recruitment practices to allow for such
- Creates a workplace where true diversity is fostered and different perspectives are valued and freely exchanged;
- Ensures that all members of the Brennan Center community feel welcome and respected, and have equal opportunities to thrive and advance within the institution; and
- Is committed to supporting low-income communities and communities of color particularly affected by social inequities.