CRM Database Manager
- New York, NY
- Full Time
- Mid Level
The Brennan Center for Justice at NYU School of Law is a nonpartisan law and policy institute that seeks to improve our systems of democracy and justice. We work to hold our political institutions and laws accountable to the twin American ideals of democracy and equal justice for all. Among our core priorities, we fight to protect voting rights, end mass incarceration, strengthen checks and balances, and preserve Constitutional protection in the fight against terrorism. Part think tank, part advocacy group, part cutting-edge communications hub, we start with rigorous research. We craft innovative policies. And we fight for them — in Congress and the states, the courts, and in the court of public opinion.
The Brennan Center recently implemented a new CRM system (Salesforce) to meet contact management demands across the organization, especially in fundraising, digital communications, advocacy, and relationship management. The CRM Database Manager leads the ongoing development, implementation, and staff adoption of the database, with the goal of creating a comprehensive database of record. This effort powers all advocacy, marketing, event, and fundraising activity for the organization, ensuring that the Brennan Center is effective, competitive, coordinated, and well-positioned to execute its mission.
- Oversee daily operation of organization’s central and growing database of many thousand contact, organization, and donation records.
- Supervise and provide technical support for growing usership of many dozens across multiple teams.
- Conceptualize, build, and monitor the flow of departmental and programmatic data through multiple external systems and into/out of the CRM database.
- Partner with major stakeholders from teams across the organization to develop, communicate, and execute data cleaning strategy.
- Manage and supervise a team of one direct report and additional staff and consultants as needed in data cleaning and ongoing development of the database.
- Lead and perform the creation of custom dashboards/other advanced reporting capabilities
- Set and manage the product roadmap for Salesforce and related integrations
- Lead the effort to decommission formal and informal legacy systems ranging from offline spreadsheets to complex fundraising-management databases.
- Perform continual evaluation and configuration of the database to create and/or improve functionality for multiple teams with competing priorities,
- Seek relevant third-party tools to improve CRM service; gain and maintain advanced knowledge of various existing third-party applications and integrated services, e.g., Jackson River/Springboard, Pardot, Apsona, etc.
Organizational Management Duties
- Act as primary linchpin between major stakeholders with organizational data; lead and mediate conversations between stakeholder groups to promote a strategy that balances competing departmental priorities while ensuring the health of the organization at large.
- Partner with teams to identify and bolster existing and develop new data-management protocols.
- Campaign for organizational adoption of the database; seek feedback from staff through interviews and audits; incorporate findings into rollout strategy as appropriate.
- Oversee user-training program, resource development, and ongoing user support systems and protocols.
- Support projects and efforts from other teams that intersect with the CRM database.
- Research best practices and create database-team structure and protocols including the team’s scope of work, reporting structure, job descriptions, and performance standards.
- Act as a primary point of contact for various vendor accounts.
- Create, gain approval for, share, and analyze yearly budget.
- Technical savvy and a deep understanding of and experience with relational databases; a love of data and its uses.
- At least 3-6 years database management experience in an organization with diverse data needs.
- Background in requirements gathering, functional design, QA, and release management
- Ability to assess the impact of new requirements on Salesforce.com and all upstream and downstream applications, systems, and processes.
- Strong understanding of the Salesforce platform, with the ability to build custom apps and objects, formula fields, workflows, custom views, and other content of intermediate complexity
- Strong understanding of Salesforce.com best practices and functionality.
- Sound understanding and experience with Salesforce Non-profit Success Pack (NPSP) functionality
- Sound understanding and experience with digital marketing tools, especially, e.g., Pardot, etc.
- Experience with conversion and roll-out preferable but not required.
- High proficiency with MS Excel as adjunct to the above
- Ability to critically evaluate information gathered from multiple sources, reconcile conflicts, decompose high-level information into details, abstract up from low-level information to a general understanding, and distinguish user requests from the underlying true needs.
- Creative thinker and solutions oriented, an enthusiasm for troubleshooting and solving puzzles
- Excellent written and oral communications skills; user training experience.
- Ability to prioritize and juggle effectively among many demands.
- Nonprofit experience strongly preferred but not required.
- Passion for accuracy and strong attention to detail and data management abilities.
The Brennan Center is committed to advancing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in the workplace. We continuously work with our staff to find new ways to increase diversity and to build and cultivate an inclusive and equitable work environment, where everyone can be their true-self and feel a strong sense of belonging. As such, we seek to hire employees who have a commitment to and/or experience with diversity, equity, and inclusion. In addition, we expect employees to participate/contribute with DEI initiatives or activities with recruitment, retention, and workplace culture.
Salary: The salary is highly competitive in the field and commensurate with experience. A generous benefits package is available as well.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until a qualified candidate is identified. To apply, please visit https://brennancenter.applytojob.com/apply/NlgwNvyJbP/CRM-Database-Manager. Please upload the following application materials: resume, cover letter, and contact information for three references. No phone calls or faxes. Please reference where you saw this posting in your cover letter.
If you have difficulty with the online system, you may send your application by e-mail to: email@example.com with “CRM Manager" in the subject line, after registering in the online system. An online application, however, is strongly preferred to ensure your application is reviewed.
Note: The Brennan Center is committed to public health and to the safety and wellbeing of our colleagues and visitors. As such, we have adopted a policy requiring all employees working in the New York and Washington, DC offices to be vaccinated against COVID-19 or to meet the legal guidelines for an exemption.
The Brennan Center for Justice is committed to a workplace based on equal opportunity and a strong belief in the increased effectiveness that comes from a diverse workforce. To this end, Brennan Center
- Welcomes and hires applicants of all races, ethnicities, gender identities, socioeconomic identities and sexual orientations, including people who have been previously incarcerated;
- Creates a workplace where true diversity is fostered and different perspectives are valued and freely exchanged;
- Ensures that all members of the Brennan Center community feel welcome and respected, and have equal opportunities to thrive and advance within the institution; and
- Is committed to supporting low-income communities and communities of color particularly affected by social inequities.