Deputy Editor, Brennan en Español
The Brennan Center for Justice at NYU School of Law is a nonpartisan law and policy institute that seeks to improve the systems of democracy and justice in the United States. We work to hold our political institutions and laws accountable to the twin American ideals of democracy and equal justice for all. Among our core priorities, we fight to protect voting rights, end mass incarceration, strengthen checks and balances, and, preserve constitutional protections in the fight against terrorism. Part think tank, part advocacy group, part cutting edge communications hub, we start with rigorous research. We craft innovative policies. And we fight for them – in Congress and the states, the courts, and in the court of public opinion.
The Brennan Center is seeking a dynamic and experienced Deputy Editor to work across departments to help manage and edit its new Spanish website, Brennan en español. The site launched in April 2022 to provide nonpartisan information to Latino voters and serve as a resource to the Spanish-language press and Latino social justice organizations.
The site curates Brennan Center work that is particularly relevant to Latino Spanish-speaking and bilingual audiences on the center’s core issues, including voting rights, election and national security, redistricting, mass incarceration and campaign finance reform. It also combats disinformation and tracks Latino political power through facts, statistics and other information that appear in our analysis and reports.
Note: This is a hybrid position. Staff are currently working from home 2 days a week. This position is based in New York City.
Role & Responsibilities
One of the Brennan Center’s primary goals is driving the national conversation around issues of democracy and justice. The deputy editor will partner with organizational stakeholders in driving the growth of this new Spanish initiative that will further the conversation on democracy. The role requires keen attention to detail, strong internal communication skills, responsiveness during working hours and the ability to work autonomously and manage a small team.
- Works closely with Brennan en español (BEE) Editor in Chief and other Communications staff
- Serve as lead strategic thought partner to BEE editor-in-chief and other Communications staff
- Manage and coordinate daily operations and production calendar for Brennan en español and run point on editorial meetings
- Coordinate weekly team meeting with stakeholders to review deliverables and meet project deadlines.
- Troubleshoot project issues and ensure the issues are resolved
- Produce and manage budget for department
- Help supervise interns, consultants and professional vendors
- Liaise with outside partners and allies as needed; function as lead coordinator with internal events team
- Help institute process and workflow systems for the operation of the website
- Media outreach with Latino reporters
- Execute brief translations as needed on deadline
- Lead editor to craft and review social media messaging in Spanish to promote work posted on BEE
- Manage Brennan en español website, managing content calendar and uploading content
- Stage and deploy content on site.
- Produce a variety of written content from brief analysis pieces to social media content to outreach emails and press materials
- Serve as project lead manager to coordinate messaging campaigns and other initiatives
- Review professional translations of reports, blog posts, opinion pieces and other writings produced by Brennan experts that are translated from English to Spanish for the site
,open to evolving responsibilities and highly organized Additional qualifications are listed below.
Fluency in Spanish is required to write copy, including social media messages, and to review translations by professional translators. At least 5 years of editorial and digital experience is preferred. ommunication, writing, editing and digital skills.
- Experience producing clear, comprehensive written and verbal communication is a must, as well as the capability to lead website management, content flow and ideas, and review translations.
- Project Management Skills. A self-starter, the candidate will have a track record of managing projects from A to Z. The incumbent will be adept at working across different teams with little supervision to see projects to the finish line.
- Proactive and Organized. The candidate will be a proactive internal communicator who is organized and possesses excellent time management skills.
- Content Management. The candidate will have experience with content management or be able to grow to capably utilize a project management software such as Basecamp.
- Experience in media relations, including developing relationships with journalists and demonstrated success in placing stories and mentions in the press, is a plus.
- Social media content production. Experience producing crisp, strategic, accurate and on-message social media content is a plus.
The Brennan Center is committed to advancing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in the workplace. We continuously work with our staff to find new ways to increase diversity and to build and cultivate an inclusive and equitable work environment, where everyone can be their true-self and feel a strong sense of belonging. As such, we seek to hire employees who have a commitment to and/or experience with diversity, equity, and inclusion. In addition, we expect employees to participate/contribute with DEI initiatives or activities with recruitment, retention, and workplace culture.
Salary: The salary is highly competitive in the field and commensurate with experience.
To Apply: Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until a qualified candidate is identified. To apply, please visit this link https://brennancenter.com/Deputy-Editor. Please upload the following application materials: resume, cover letter, published writing sample and contact information for three references. No phone calls or faxes. Please reference where you saw this posting in your cover letter.
If you have difficulty with the online system, you may send your application by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “BEE Deputy Editor" in the subject line, after registering in the online system. An online application, however, is strongly preferred to ensure your application is reviewed.
Note: The Brennan Center is committed to public health and to the safety and wellbeing of our colleagues and visitors. As such, we have adopted a policy requiring all employees working in the New York and Washington, DC offices to be vaccinated against COVID-19, including having a booster, or to meet the legal guidelines for an exemption.
The Brennan Center for Justice is committed to a workplace based on equal opportunity and a strong belief in the increased effectiveness that comes from a diverse workforce. To this end, Brennan Center
- Welcomes and hires applicants of all races, ethnicities, gender identities, socioeconomic identities and sexual orientations, including people who have been previously incarcerated;
- Creates a workplace where true diversity is fostered and different perspectives are valued and freely exchanged;
- Ensures that all members of the Brennan Center community feel welcome and respected, and have equal opportunities to thrive and advance within the institution; and
- Is committed to supporting low-income communities and communities of color particularly affected by social inequities.